Pain au Chocolat Cinnamon Rolls
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed but cold
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix together the sugars, cinnamon, and salt.
- Unroll both sheets of puff pastry, and paint both lightly with melted butter using a pastry brush. You will have some butter left over.
- Divide the sugar-cinnamon mixture between the two sheets of pastry, spreading evenly. Divide the walnuts and chocolate chips evenly across both pastry sheets.
- Use the remaining butter to grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Roll up both sheets of puff pastry, and use a serrated knife to cut each log into 6 cinnamon rolls.
- Place 1 roll in each muffin cup, cut-side-up. If any of the filling falls out, just divide it between the cinnamon rolls. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by whisking together the powdered sugar, the crème fraîche, and the milk.
- Use a knife to help lift the cinnamon rolls out of the muffin cups and onto a wire rack to cool. When they are cool, spoon the frosting over the top of the cinnamon rolls.
print this recipe