Tisane Shortbread Cookies with Lemon Verbena
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely ground verbena (3 tea bags)
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until just combined.
- Separate the dough into two parts, and place each half on a large sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into two logs about 2 inches in diameter and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until cold throughout, about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take the dough out of the fridge.
- After the dough has sat out for about 10 minutes, carefully cut the dough into 1/2-inch thick discs, trying not to crumble the dough. Lay the discs onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with a dusting of sugar to form a sparkling, firm crust on the top of each cookie. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and firm. Allow to stand for a few minutes, until they are firm enough to move. Remove to a wire rack to cool, and serve with tea.
print this recipe