Chaussons aux Pommes with Cinnamon Crème Fraîche
- 3 Golden Delicious apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Pinch of salt
- The juice of 1/4 lemon
- 4 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed but cold (from 2 boxes, preferably pure butter)
- 1 egg, beaten for an egg wash
Ingredients for the Cinnamon Crème Fraîche
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
Procedure for the Chaussons
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and core the apples, and slice them into 1/2-inch slices. Toss with the 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, a pinch of salt, and the juice of 1/4 lemon.
- Roll out the puff pastry, using bench flour to prevent sticking, so that you can cut 2 circles the size of tea saucers out of opposite corners of each sheet of puff pastry: you will have 8 circles in all.
- Transfer the chaussons to 2 baking sheets, and bake for 20 minutes. The pastry will be golden, buttery, and flakey, and the apples will be gooey, oozing, and sweet. Serve warm with cold cinnamon crème fraîche (recipe follows).
Procedure for the Cinnamon Crème Fraîche
- Stir everything together, and chill.
print this recipe