serves a crowd
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- The zest of 1 orange, 1 lemon, and 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 24 wonton wrappers (about half a pack)
- Heat about 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet, or saucepan, to 325°F.
- Cut the wonton wrappers into triangles by slicing them in half across the diagonal. Fry a few of them at a time, about 4 or 5 depending on the size of your pan, for about 10 to 20 seconds per side, until they are just turning golden. They will harden and even darken a touch when you remove them to a paper towel to drain.
- Pile up the oreillettes on a plate, and top with more freshly grated orange, lemon, and lime zest. Serve with tea or aperitifs in the afternoon.
print this recipe