Lobster Salad Sandwiches
2 to 4
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon total of lemon, lime, and orange zests
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced celery
- 7 ounces lobster meat, cut into very large chunks (about 1 cup total, or the meat from the tail of a 2-pound spiny lobster), steamed and cold
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 wheat baguette
- Butter, room temperature
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the citrus juices—which must all be freshly squeezed—the citrus zests, the mayonnaise, chives, and celery. Taste the dressing and season accordingly with salt and pepper, not forgetting that the lobster is slightly salty itself.
- Take your steamed lobster tail and cut it into large chunks, about four to six pieces for the whole tail. Leave the claws whole. Gently fold the lobster meat together with the dressing, and set it in the refrigerator.
- Cut the wheat baguette in half horizontally almost all the way through to create a hinged sandwich roll. Very lightly butter both sides with soft sweet cream butter. Stick it under the broiler for just a couple of minutes, until it is just lightly golden and a little bit crusty. Most importantly, allow the bread to cool.
- When the baguette is back to room temperature, take the lobster salad out of the fridge, and scoop it, brimming, into the bread. Serve it with zucchini frites and an heirloom tomato salad.
print this recipe