Get the whole story at Serious Eats.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Small pinch of saffron (optional)
- 8 grams squid ink
- 1/2 pound calamari tubes, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
In a sauce pot, bring the stock and water to a simmer.
In a wide pan with high sides, melt the butter into 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add in the shallots, garlic, and chili flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Sweat the shallots until just translucent. Then add the rice and toast for 1-2 minutes.
Once you have used all the stock and water, the rice should be tender and creamy, and the calamari should be opaque. Add in the Parmesan and parsley, and stir. Drizzle with a final 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and serve right away.
print this recipe