- 1 4-inch piece of Gallegea bread, or baguette or ciabatta, halved horizontally
- 1/2 ounce Manchego, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces Campo de Montalban, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon membrillo, or quince paste
- 1 to 2 thin slices Serrano ham
- Olive oil
A brick wrapped in foil
Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
Assemble the sandwiches by laying the cheese on one half of the bread, and spreading the membrillo on the other. Place the ham over the membrillo, and press the two sides together. Brush the outside lightly with olive oil.
Place the sandwich in the pan, and place the foil-wrapped brick on top of it to weight it down. Check after about 2 minutes. Once the side touching the pan is golden and crisp, flip the sandwich over and replace the brick, allowing the other side to brown as well. You want to keep the heat on medium low, so that the cheese has time to melt while the crust develops. When the sandwich is ready, cut in half, or into fingers to serve as a cocktail snack.
print this recipe