Niçoise Tuna Cakes
serves 3 to 6
- 1 large tuna steak, about 3/4 pound, seared medium doneness
- 1 1/4 cups baguette crumbs (fresh bread crumbs make from baguette; or any fresh breadcrumbs)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 4 large green olives, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Leaves of 2 stems of thyme
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Vegetable oil and olive oil for frying
- Cook the tuna by searing it on both sides in a pan over medium heat with a touch of light olive oil, until it is medium done (still pink inside). Set aside to cool, and flake with a fork.
- Add the baguette crumbs, lemon zest, olives, capers, garlic, green onion, parsley, and thyme.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise, egg, vinegar, anchovy paste, and oil. When well combined, fold into the other ingredients until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 6 patties. Heat just enough olive oil and vegetable oil in a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Sear 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Serve with Lemon Aïoli and Tapenade Crème Fraîche (recipes follow) and lemon wedges.
- For both sauces, simply mix the ingredients with a small whisk until well combined.
print this recipe