Spicy Summertime Ratatouille
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 medium eggplant, sliced into half-moons
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half-moons
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1/4 to 1/2 habanero chili (or the chili of your choice, to your taste), seeded and deveined (you could also substitute chili flakes)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat until it is hot. Add the eggplant, and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, until soft and tender. Be sure to season each vegetable with salt and pepper as it is cooking. Remove the eggplant with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle in more olive oil as needed for the pan. Sauté the zucchini in the same way, for 8 to 9 minutes. Remove, and add to the bowl with the eggplant.
- Cook the peppers in the same way, for 6 to 8 minutes. Add to the eggplant and zucchini.
- Cook the onions for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat. Then add the garlic and chili and cook for another 2 minutes. Add to the bowl of vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice and a tiny drizzle of fresh olive oil to the bowl. Add the chiffonade of mint. Quickly toss the ratatouille and serve immediately.
print this recipe