Sweet Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stems fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed, but very cold
- 2 ounces fresh chèvre (goat) cheese
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and thyme, and sauté, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar to the onions, and sauté another 10 minutes, adjusting the heat if the onions are turning brown too quickly.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lay out the puff pastry, and use a 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter to cut out 9 puff pastry circles.
- Arrange the pastry circles on a cookie sheet. Top with the onion mixture (remove the thyme stems!), then top with chèvre. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Garnish, if you like, with the stingiest drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and more fresh thyme.
print this recipe