Cold Tomato and Tarragon Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds vine tomatoes, seeded and in chunks
- 1 Vidalia onion, in chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and in chunks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves (from approximately 2 large stems), plus more for garnish
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup baguette crumbs, or fresh bread crumbs
- 4 ounces crumbled fresh goat cheese, for serving
- In a large blender, place all the ingredients EXCEPT the bread crumbs and the goat cheese. Blend everything together until almost completely smooth. Taste, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the blender, and just whiz to incorporate. To make baguette crumbs, take the stale butts of old baguettes and smash them in a food processor. I always keep a baggie of these in my freezer, but any fresh bread crumbs will do. Just avoid heavily flavored breads like rye.
- Decant the soup into a pitcher or punch bowl, and cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve in mugs or bowls with some crumbles of fresh goat cheese and whole tarragon leaves, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
print this recipe