Parsnip Purée with Olive Oil and Sage
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 leaves fresh sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fried sage leaves as garnish (optional, see note)
- Bring large pot of water to boil over high heat. Salt water well, and add parsnips. Cook until very tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil small saucepan with 6 sage leaves. Heat on the lowest flame for 5 minutes, remove from heat, and allow to steep for another 5 minutes.
- Drain the parsnips and place in food processor. Remove sage from oil and add sage oil to food processor along with remaining 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Purée until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with fried sage leaves (see note).
To fry sage leaves, heat 1/4 cup olive oil in small saucepan to 325°F. Drop sage leaves in three at a time and cook, agitating occasionally until crisp, 45 seconds to 1 minute 15 seconds. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
print this recipe