- 3 Kaiser rolls
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, whole and peeled, plus 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 6-ounce cans of solid white albacore tuna, drained
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of store-bought tapenade
- 3 leaves of green leaf or Romaine lettuce
- 3 slices of large beefsteak tomato
- 3 pitted French oil-cured black olives (or other black olive, optional)
- 3 6-inch wooden skewers (optional)
1. Cut the 2 Kaiser rolls into thirds horizontally and discard middle section. Toast the rolls on your toaster's 'bagel' setting, so only the inside gets toasted, or under your broiler. Cut the whole cloves of garlic in half and rub the hot bread with the cut sides of the garlic. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the 1 clove grated garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the tuna and use a fork to break up the tuna and combine it with the lemon aïoli mixture.
3. Slather each side of the garlicky bun with ½ tablespoon of store-bought tapenade. Cut the ribs out of the lettuce and cut each leaf into 4 pieces. Pile the lettuce onto the bottom bun, followed by the tuna salad and a slice of tomato. Season the tomato lightly with salt and top with the remaining bun. Thread an olive onto a skewer, and stab the skewer through the sandwich from top to bottom to hold the whole thing together. Serve with kettle-cooked or sweet potato chips.
print this recipe