French Onion Dip
serves a small crowd
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 8-ounce package of sour cream
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- ⅛ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 8-ounce bag kettle-cooked potato chips, preferably Yukon Gold
- Heat the butter and oil together in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook on medium-low to medium heat, stirring almost constantly, for 7 to 10 minutes, until the shallots are mostly golden-brown, but not burnt. Spoon into a bowl, and cool to room temperature. Then, place the shallots in 2 paper towels, and ring out the excess fat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream and goat cheese until smoothly combined. Add shallots, chives, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined, and spoon into a serving bowl. Serve with chips. If you want to reserve the dip and serve later, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate, but be sure to let it sit out for 30 minutes before serving, or it will be too firm to dip.
print this recipe