Swordfish Paillard with Citrus Salad
- 4 6-ounce fillets swordfish
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces mixed baby spinach and baby arugula salad
- 1 blood orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 40 oil-cured black olives
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- Cut the skin off the fish fillets, and butterfly them. Place each fillet between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap, and pound the fish to between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thin with a rolling pin. Place the fish in a baking dish with 1/4 cup olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Preheat a Panini press or two-sided grill press to its highest heat setting.
- Zest the orange and reserve. Segment the orange and the grapefruit. Wring out the juice from what is left of the orange and reserve. Toss the orange and grapefruit segments with spinach and arugula salad, black olives, and fennel.
- Whisk together the orange juice and zest, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt and pepper until emulsified. Toss the salad with the dressing and set aside.
- Once the grill press is hot, grill the fish, one fillet at a time, until the fish is opaque, and just beginning to sear, about 1 minute. Set aside, and repeat with the remaining fish fillets. Cut the clove of garlic in half, and while the fish is hot, rub each fillet very gently with the cut edge of the garlic clove. Place the fish on a large platter, and top with the salad. Serve immediately.
print this recipe