- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the bread, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 thin slices Black Forest ham
- ½ Gala apple, thinly sliced
In a small saucepot, melt ½ tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the flour, and whisk together. Cook for 1 minute. Add the milk, and whisk to combine. Heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, or until the soft coats a spoon. Add the mustard, and one quarter of the cheddar and Gruyère. Whisk to melt.
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread the cheese sauce on the other side of each slice of bread. Divide the cheese between the bread slices, on top of the cheese sauce. Then, divide the ham and apple between the slices of bread. Then, sandwich the croque monsieurs together. Grill the sandwich in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until the bread is golden bread, and the cheese melted. Flip over, and do the same on the other side. Serve immediately.
print this recipe