- 1 English cucumber, seeded and sliced thickly on an angle
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- (optional: sliced fresh chilis or scallions)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TUNA
- 3/4 pound Ahi tuna steak
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds (or just 6 tablespoons of white sesame seeds!)
- Vegetable oil
- Soy sauce or Ponzu sauce
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ASIAN SALAD
- Mixed greens (eyeball as much as you want and top with veggies accordingly)
- Shredded carrots
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Yellow pepper, cut very thinly
- Cucumber, sliced
- Ginger dressing (recommending: Makoto)
If making the Asian Insta-Pickle, toss the cucumber slices with the vinegar and soy sauce (and chili or scallions if using), and set aside to marinate.
Get to work on the fish. Cut the Ahi tuna steak in half, and roll both halves in the sesame seeds so the seeds coat the entire exterior of the fish. Pour just enough oil into a wide pan to coat the bottom. Heat on medium-high until smoking. Sear tuna 30 to 45 seconds on each of 4 sides. Slice thinly. Serve with soy or ponzu sauce.
If making the salad, toss salad and vegetables with ginger dressing, and serve on the side of the tuna.
If you are faced with a choice between sesame seeds and toasted sesame seeds, get the UNtoasted ones.
print this recipe