- 5 pre-fried crispy soft-shell crabs
- ½ cup mayonnaise (preferably good French or homemade)
- 1 packed tablespoon roughly chopped fresh tarragon
- 10 slices white bread, lightly toasted and cooled
- 10 leaves of Bibb or Boston or Butter lettuce
- ½ Haas avocado, sliced very thinly*
- 1 green heirloom tomato, cored and sliced very thinly
- 1 lemon*
Preheat the oven to 500°F. Lay the crabs in a single layer on a baking sheet, and warm and crisp for about 8 minutes. Sprinkle the crabs lightly with salt. Even though you will let them come to room temperature again, this revives and crisps them.
*When I slice the avocado, I drizzle it with the juice of ½ the lemon.
Stir together the mayonnaise and tarragon. Slather one side of each piece of toast with tarragon mayonnaise. Place a lettuce leaf on each mayonnaised sliced of bread.
Then, place the room temperature crabs on half of the bread slices. Top with avocado slices, and then tomato slices. Top with a lettuce-and-mayo slice of toast, the lettuce and mayo facing into the sandwich, obviously.
Serve with lemon wedges.
print this recipe