- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 small shallots, finely sliced
- 1/4 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 3/4 pounds celery root, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Grated Gruyère, for serving
In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat until frothy. Add the shallots, and cook on medium-low to medium heat until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Keep a cup of water on the side, and add a splash every few minutes to keep the shallots from burning before they are caramelized.
Add the potatoes, celery root, thyme, salt, pepper, and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low, simmering for 30 minutes. Add the contents of the pot to a blender, and carefully purée until smooth. Serve very hot, with a big pile of coarsely grated Gruyère to pile on top and melt into the soup.
print this recipe