- 3 Hass avocadoes
- 1/8 red onion, finely diced
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- 2 chipotle peppers, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons adobo (from the chipotle can)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans in seasoned sauce
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 smallish corn tortillas
For the Guacamole: Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, and use a wooden spoon to mash everything together.
For the Beans: Add the beans and the sauce from the cans to a small saucepot, along with all the spices. Season with salt, cover, and heat on medium-low heat until hot and bubbling. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
For the Tortillas: There are two methods to heating your tortillas. The easy one is to wrap the stack of tortillas in one or two damp paper towels. Then microwave them for a minute or two until soft and steamy. The better way is to preheat a cast iron or regular skillet on medium heat until it’s nice and hot. Spray the pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Dunk a tortilla in a bowl of water, and sear it on both sides until the tortilla is dry and flat (don’t keep turning them; just turn them once when ready). Keep the warm tortillas folded in aluminum foil, and just do the same thing for each tortilla.
print this recipe