- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 4 long planks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Pinch of herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for spreading on the bread
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 2/3-inch slices of fresh white sandwich bread
- 3/4 grated Emmenthaler, plus 1/2 cup
Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Toss the zucchini lightly with olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence. Grill 4 minutes on each side, until charred and cooked through. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, and continue whisking until the mixture has thickened enough to thickly coat a spoon. Set aside.
Assemble the grilled cheese. Spread the outside of the bread lightly with butter. Place some of the 3/4 cup of cheese on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread, top with the zucchini, top with the rest of the 3/4 cup cheese, and finish with the second slice of bread, butter side out. Toast the sandwich in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Preheat the broiler.
Place the sandwich on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Spread the top with the béchamel, and top with the additional 1/2 cup cheese. Broil until the cheese is toasted. Slice and serve with a green salad. Share, or multiply at will!print this recipe