- 1 pound calamari tubes and tentacles
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, black or white
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sea salt
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges
Prepare the calamari by slicing the tubes into 1/2-inch strips and cutting the tentacles in half down the center. Rinse and drain.
In a large plastic food storage bag, toss together the flour, Chinese five spice powder, and sesame seeds. Add the calamari, and season with salt. Seal and shake the bag until the calamari is coated in the flour mixture.
Fill a cast iron pan about halfway with vegetable oil, and heat until the oil reaches 365 to 370 degrees F. Shake the excess flour off the calamari and fry, in batches if necessary, for about 2 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Top with sea salt, green onion, cilantro, extra sesame seeds, and lime zest (or any combination of the preceding), and serve with lime wedges. Done!print this recipe