- 10½ ounces sushi grade fresh tuna
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeds discarded
- ¼ shallot
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- Coarse sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, plus more taste
- 1 baguette, sliced into thin rounds or really good tortilla chips
Dice the tuna, tomato, shallot, and basil leaves. Add all four ingredients to the food processor along with salt and pepper to taste, and pulse 10 times. Scrape down the sides with a silicone spatula, and pulse 10 times again. Spoon into a bowl. Add the olive oil and vinegar, and toss to thoroughly combine.
To make baguette toasts, arrange the baguette rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with a touch of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake at 375°F for approximately 10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Alternatively, just serve with tortilla chips.
Adding vinegar will cause the tuna to cook and turn white. If you want to make this ahead of time, prepare everything as per the recipe. Just omit the vinegar, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir in the vinegar at just the last minute.print this recipe