- 2 6-ounce pieces of veal scallopini
- 1 egg
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus a little extra for shaving over the top
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Olive or vegetable oil for frying, plus an extra drizzle of olive oil for the salad
- 2 big handfuls of baby arugula
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut into sixths
- Some fresh basil leaves, if you have them on hand
- ½ lemon, cut in half
Pound your veal scallopini out to ¼ inch in thickness, or ask your butcher to do it for you.
In a wide bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons of water. In a wide baking dish, stir together the grated Parm, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper.
In a nonstick sautépan, heat about ¾ inch of oil over medium-high heat. Dip the veal first in the egg mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs mixture, pressing the breading into the meat. Fry the veal 1½ minutes on each side, one piece of veal at a time. Drain on a paper towel.
Put each piece of veal Milanese on its own plate, and top with a handful of arugula, a few tomatoes, a shaving or two of Parm, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with a lemon wedge. That’s it!print this recipe