- 1 pound baby new potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 14 ounces of sweet pork sausage, removed from its casing
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, fresh if you have them
- 1/4 cup milk, plus 6 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- A handful of chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Lingonberry jam (optional)
Put the potatoes in a stockpot, and cover by an inch of water. Add a pinch of salt, and boil until tender.
In a large bowl, gently mix together the sausage meat, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg or allspice, and salt and pepper. Use a small ice cream scoop if you have one to shape the mixture into 20 small, even meatballs. Add the olive oil to a wide nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and add the meatballs. Brown the meatballs on all sides, and add the beef broth. Cover the pot, and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, 10 minutes. Continue simmering uncovered if necessary to thicken the broth so that it just coats the back of a spoon. Add the remaining nutmeg or allspice and 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream. Stir to combine and set aside.
Drain the potatoes, and return back to their hot pot. Add 6 tablespoons milk and 1/4 cup of crème fraîche or sour cream, and season with salt and pepper. Add half the parsley, if using, and smash the potatoes. Plate the potatoes, and pour the meatballs and sauce over the top. Top with the remaining parsley. Done!print this recipe